Thursday, March 3, 2016

style files - the floral print

Hey friends!  Happy Thursday!  Apologies for my absence this week on the blog.  I've been hard at work finishing up the wallpaper project in our entry foyer.  And as of 12:30 this morning I'm happy to report I checked that box off my to-do list for the space.  Yippee!  I'll be sharing a full tutorial next week.  Stay tuned for that.

While I'm nursing the bags under my sleep deprived eyes, let's talk about something spring-y.  Who else is thrilled to welcome Spring back into their lives?!  Spring always puts me in such a flower-y mood.

Style Files - the floral print - bringing in touches of spring - yellow roses - living room

But really, who am I kidding, I love all things related to florals year round.  I love fresh flowers, floral paintings and floral prints.  Whether in home decor or fashion, a floral print brings in an element of softness, whimsy and femininity. 

Floral print curtains via Hi Sugarplum
hi sugarplum
Floral Wallpaper  - Girls Room Design by Kristing at Hunted Interior
Hunted Interior

 A bold floral print can really be the defining element that makes a room design sing, yet a sweet little floral painting can be the cherry on top of a gorgeous floor to ceiling space.   Edie's kitchen has been a favorite of mine for years.


Floral painting in kitchen - via Life in Grace
Life in Grace

I find in my home I have a hard time selling bold floral prints to my husband.  Anyone else?  He's not a fan of anything "too girly".  #inserteyeroll  But floral paintings he's good with, so I've become slightly obsessed.  I love, love, love floral paintings!   And have recently become enamored with Emma Louise Bell.  Her work is just beautiful!  You really need to check out her shop.

Floral painting by Emma Louise Bell
Emma Louise Bell  - Floral Painting

This one is a favorite!  I just love tulips!  It's a 12x12 size which is so great for styling bookshelves or for mixing in with larger pieces in a gallery wall.



Emma Louise Bell Floral Painting
Emma Louise Bell - Tulips
While in interiors I get my floral fix via fresh flowers and paintings, in my wardrobe I have free reign to get my flower power on.  I'm usually attracted to large scale floral prints.  The smaller scale prints tend to give me high school flashbacks, and that's not necessarily a good thing.  ;)  I also tend to gravitate towards floral prints on darker backgrounds as I find that they tend to work in my wardrobe year round as opposed to being season specific.  This red floral on black dress I wore during our recent trip to San Antonio easily transitions to spring/summer with a quick shoe and accessory change.

Style Files - The Floral Print - Transition to spring with a quick shoe change

I'll be swapping the tights and boots for bare legs and wedges.  These beauties are on my spring wish list!  Major heart eyes happening over here! 

Style Files - Florals for Spring - Wedge Sandals
A bunch of you asked for source info on my floral print dress after the San Antonio trip report, but unfortunately it's no longer available.  I bought it last fall at Lily Rain.  So I rounded up a bunch of floral print pieces that could easily work in your wardrobe year round with the right accessories.  

Style Files - The Floral Print
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
I'm especially in love with this lovely.  She's got a retro vibe I really dig and would look great with leopard heels and a vintage straw bag for spring; or pair her with a black cardigan, pearls, black tights and knee high boots and she'd put a happy pep in your winter step.  Plus, she also reminds me of The Bachelor.  ;)   Who's watching this season?   It's crazy town right?!

 Retro Style Red Floral Dress

I'm also in mega love with this girl, but she's a little price-y, though I really do love the large scale print, the color combination and the slight bell sleeve! 

Style Files - Florals for Spring - that you can wear year round!
floral print, bell sleeve
And wearing her year round would make her price a bit easier to swallow.   She'd go great with a fur or military style vest and tall cognac boots or give her a spring Derby style look with a pretty sun hat and nude heels.

What about you all, are you ready for spring's flowers to bloom?  Do you love floral prints and paintings as much as I do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment