Monday, November 9, 2015

gluten free, dairy free & egg free cinnamon pancakes

Here's a little weird, random fact about me. I have a major love for breakfast food, but I don't love eating it at breakfast time. I usually eat leftovers for breakfast, and I indulge my breakfast food love once week at dinner time. Breakfast for dinner, or BFD as we call it, is a weekly menu staple around here, and I look forward to BFD every week. Pancakes are probably my favorite of all the breakfast foods, and they just so happen to remind me of my grandma. Growing up every time I'd stay the night at her house she'd take me out to this little diner by her house that served breakfast all day and we'd eat pancakes for dinner......with boatloads of maple syrup! It's funny how memories attach to things. I just can't eat a pancake without thinking of her. I think that's one reason why I love eating them so much......that and maple syrup, because duh.

Discovering my food allergies changed some things. Going out for pancakes is near impossible for me because even if I find a place that makes gluten free pancakes, chances are they won't also be dairy free and egg free. So I was forced to do lots of recipe testing at home in order to indulge my pancake love once again, and I think I may have finally found the best tasting one.

For any of you that are also gluten, dairy and egg free I hope you enjoy these cinnamon pancakes as much as my family does!

gluten free, dairy free, egg free, cinnamon, nut free pancakes

These are not "paleo" but since I'm also nut free, almond flour was out, and coconut flour just wasn't getting the job done. So these pancakes call for a gluten free all-purpose baking flour. I prefer Bob's Red Mill. Not 100% paleo, but 100% delicious and 100% safe for me to eat. I'll take it.....with a boatload of maple syrup. ;)

gluten free, dairy free, egg free & nut free cinnamon pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups of warm water
2 tablespoons ground chia seeds
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
4 tablespoons raw honey
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups gluten free all-purpose baking flour
1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt

Directions:
Use a coffee grinder or magic bullet to grind the chia seeds (or you can buy chia seed meal instead of chia seeds and skip that step). In a large bowl, mix ground chia seeds with warm water. Set aside for a few minutes while you're gathering the rest of the ingredients. This is your egg replacer, and you want to give the chia seed mixture a chance to gel. Once it thickens a bit, about 5 minutes, you can add the melted coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract. Whisk together. Then mix in the flour, the apple cider vinegar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Heat your griddle or skillet, grease with coconut oil and scoop batter onto griddle. When bubbles appear around the edges, flip and cook for another minute or two. Best enjoyed hot off the griddle drenched in maple syrup and sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Or make your pancakes the size of silver dollars and use them to make breakfast sausage sandwiches! Or make them tortilla size and place a slice of bacon in the middle and roll to make bacon breakfast roll-ups. There are lots of yummy ways to eat these! Enjoy!


gluten free, dairy free, egg free pancakes


No comments:

Post a Comment