Wednesday, May 20, 2015

screened porch tour and story

Today I'm back to give you a tour of our screened porch. From the day we moved in one of our biggest plans/dreams for this house was to one day turn our deck into a screened porch. Take a look at how our deck looked prior to being screened in here. Once we had a handle on the renovations we wanted to do on the inside of the house (like new wood floors and updating the kitchen), we were able to make that dream happen. If you walk through either of the sliding glass doors in our family room you will find yourself out here on our screened porch. Without a doubt this screened room is my most favorite room in the house! As soon as winter departs, I basically live out here!

screened porch/deck tour

The actual foot print of this outdoor room isn't all that big, so I wanted really tall ceilings to give the illusion of size and to allow as much light in as possible. If you live in the Lexington area I'm happy to share the details on the company we hired to do this job. They were amazing and did a spectacular job bringing my ideas to life! Feel free to email me for the contact info.

screened porch/ deck

I also had two skylights installed to bring in even more light. Hubs wasn't sure on that one until he saw them installed. I think now he's finally learned to trust my instincts. ;) It was his idea to have the ceiling paneled, and I have to say it was a good one. This ceiling really is a showstopper. We make a good design team I guess. ;) It's hard to capture this room at night but all the way around the top moulding the builder installed rope lighting which creates the most romantic mood lighting at night.

screened porch - deck

My goal for the design of this space was to treat it more like an interior room than an exterior room. The only real "outdoor" furniture on our porch is the sectional. The rest of the pieces were thrifted finds that I refinished to use outdoors.

screened porch - madeover campaign trunk as coffee table
campaign trunk makeover
screened porch  - outdoor dining
dipped thonet chairs - outdoor dining
screened porch - outdoor dining table and chairs

screened porch - outdoor living room

screened porch  - 5 minute diy footstool
5 minute diy "upholstered" footstool
Our initial thought in the planning process was to blow through the fireplace in our family room creating a double sided fireplace that we could also enjoy out on the screened porch. Sounds great in theory right? Well, apparently that would have possibly opened up a giant can of worms, and I just didn't think it was worth the risk. So, instead we opted to create the look of a fireplace. You can read more of the details regarding the fireplace here.

screened porch - fireplace

outdoor living room accessories

I love this screened porch so much. I just wish it was warm enough to live out here all year long!

screened porch tour


For more details and the initial reveal of this space check out this post here.


No comments:

Post a Comment