Friday, May 29, 2015

The Quest For Healthy Sleep!

This post brought to you by Serta. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Lovely Crafty Home.

If you’ve been following my blog or Instagram for any amount of time, you can probably tell I’m into the paleo/primal lifestyle. Along with an obsession with Crossfit, I watch carefully what I put into my body. But the one thing I have never been able to get a handle on is my sleep.

There is no time when I can recall sleeping through the night. Since I was a teenager, I’ve had difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep. Over the past couple of years, I have learned a lot about sleep and its importance to overall health and especially a healthy weight. According to the National Sleep Foundation, I’m supposed to be getting 7-9 hours of sleep. I’m 100% sure that’s not currently happening. I’ve tried supplements like melatonin and Natural Calm (magnesium), but I haven’t found them to completely solve the problem. Chiropractic care helps, but didn’t completely rid me of the issues. 

I even bought blue light blocking sunglasses to wear before bed, hoping to cut out the mental stimulus from late night computer/TV watching. I do find those help me fall asleep, but I’m still waking up a lot at night. Even when I am sleeping, I often wake up stiff with back pain.

Our mattress is pretty old, so we had been discussing getting a new one over the past couple of weeks actually. I feel like sometimes the universe just delivers in the most unusual ways, because the kind folks at Serta® want to let me try a new mattress from their Perfect Sleeper collection!

undefined

When I read the list of 5 common sleep problems they target, I realized all of them apply to me, ACK!! 

  • Tossing/Turning
  • Lack of Support
  • Back Pain
  • Sleeping Hot
  • Partner Movement and Sagging/Rolling Off

I’m excited to try something new! Serta® is the only official mattress of the National Sleep Foundation, so I figure that must be a good place to start. They have many options within the Perfect Sleeper® line, including an affordable memory foam option (which is my top pick right now I think, I still need to lay on some more). I’m also super excited about this Cool Action™ feature of the foam because I am a HOT sleeper. I mean, we keep it frigid in the house at night!

So in my quest for a better night’s sleep, I will be sharing a few videos (I know, that’s new for me!). Go easy on me, as this is a HUGE barrier I am finally overcoming. I would like to post more videos, so I promise they will get better over time. But here’s video diary #1 about my sleeping, consider it the before shot.

Also, I’ll shoot in landscape next time (seriously, what is wrong with me?) Just blame it on the lack of sleep!

Visit Sponsors Site

No comments:

Post a Comment