Friday, December 11, 2015

christmas house tour

Hey friends and happy Thursday! Today I'm sharing a little holiday house tour along with a bunch of fabulously creative bloggers as part of Marty's (A Stroll Thru Life) Christmas tour of homes. So grab yourself a pot cup of coffee and settle in for some good old fashioned holiday fun.

If you're new around here and stopping in from Summer's (Simple Stylings) beautiful home (Did you get a chance to check out her recently renovated kitchen? Oh my, it's so good!), welcome! To give you a quick little intro, I'm Carmel, a diy and design obsessed, coffee-loving bargain hunter. I started my blog not long after my family moved in to our fifth house, hence the blog name. ;) But just this past summer we sold our fifth house, packed up and moved to Charleston, SC. So same blog name.......but new house......welcome to our sixth house.

Charleston home - Christmas house tour - pink door

I went with fresh wreaths (from Trader Joe's) out front with traditional red bows (Hobby Lobby). I love how full and lush fresh wreaths look, and I doubly love that you don't have to figure out where to store them when the season is over. ;)

I just can't get enough magnolia leaves at this time of year, and you'll soon see that I love to add them to just about everything. ;) Unfortunately, I don't have any magnolia trees on my property so I borrowed some branches from a neighbor's trash pile on the curb. #imtotallythatneighbor #noshame

pink door - evergreen and magnolia wreaths
pink door - wreath hangers
Red is my favorite color, so traditional Christmas colors are totally my jam. I'm pretty crazy for all things plaid at this time of year as well.


I like to use elements in my holiday decor that can last throughout the winter season. Pinecones add such great texture and aren't necessarily Christmas specific. These guys will probably be here 'til spring.


Since we just moved in this past summer and there are still a number of rooms I've yet to do much with (We've got lots of bare walls still, but at least all the boxes are unpacked!), let's just pass right on through the entry foyer and take a peak around the breakfast room, aka our casual dining space that is open to our kitchen and living room. You can take a closer look at this space and our Christmas table setting right here.


I love that we can enjoy a view of the Christmas tree right from this table! I knew from the moment we moved in exactly where I would put our tree, that's totally normal right?


I went with jewel tones on our tree this year using mostly traditional mercury glass ornaments that we've collected over the years with a few really special, sentimental ones in the mix. You can see more of the tree here.


This year my kids both have table top tinsel trees in their bedrooms. (I bought them during the after Christmas sale at Target last year.) And they both chose to decorate their trees with the ornaments they've made and have been gifted over the years. I miss seeing those keepsake ornaments on our main tree though, so we may have to come up with a new plan next year.


One of my favorite things about Christmas is all the reminiscing we do as we pull out all the decorations we've collected over the years. This nativity scene is so special as it was a wedding gift.

bookcases with grasscloth paper backs
I used a mix of fresh and faux greenery for the mantel mixing in my beloved magnolia leaves.


White beauty got a Christmas scarf.

living room gallery wall
The windows got wreaths.............and I'm hoping Santa is able to fit a coffee table down the chimney. ;)
living room curtain panels
But all joking aside, my hope every Christmas is that we never lose sight of the true meaning of this special holiday season. Whether you celebrate with one tree or two trees or no trees at all, it's not the decor that matters most. It's about the good tidings of great joy. No matter how weary this world, I know the child once born in Bethlehem is still among us now.


Thanks for visiting today!


The next stop on this holiday house tour is over at Kim's place (Tidbits & Twine). Her home is so lovely and her photography is gorgeous! Enjoy your visit!

Here's the full tour schedule:

Monday - Dec 7th

Tuesday - Dec 8th

Wednesday – Dec 9th
Thursday – Dec 10th
Fri – Dec 11th


No comments:

Post a Comment