Sunday, September 6, 2015

visitor's guide - napa valley

If you follow me on instagram you already know my hub and I recently got home from our third trip to Napa Valley. No doubt it's one of our favorite places on Earth, which is why we keep going back for more. Each trip is always filled with good fun, good food........and great wine. I'm pretty sure you could visit wine country a million times and not hit every winery.....well maybe that's a bit of a stretch. But there really are so many wineries and so many great places to eat; and there's never enough time to see and do it all. I thought I'd share a few of my favorite places as well as some wine country vacation planning tips and ideas to serve as a resource if you ever find yourself needing a napa. ;) #everybodyneedsanapa #amiright

Napa Valley - Visitor's Guide

Traveling:
Being that we don't live within driving distance of the area we have always flown in to San Francisco and rented a car to drive to our Napa hotel. However, what I've learned from locals is that it may be easier to fly in to Sacramento. Apparently it's further in terms of miles but takes less time because you avoid all that San Fran traffic. So I think next time that may be what we do. I just wanted to pass that little nugget along to you. Obviously it all depends on your vacation plans and whether or not you actually want to spend any time in the city. We've always chosen to spend most/all of our time in Napa so avoiding the traffic (which can add an hour or more to your driving time) sounds pretty awesome.

Also when budgeting for your Napa Valley visit don't forget to include driver's fare, whether you use Uber, a shuttle service or hire a driver, that will add to the overall expense of your trip. But it's an important expense as safety is so so important. We're big fans of Uber.

Where to Stay:
I've enjoyed staying at the Andaz Napa which is in a great downtown Napa location, and the rooms (especially the bathrooms) are gorgeous. For the past two years we've stayed at the Meritage Resort and Spa where the heated pool backs up to this gorgeous vineyard view. I mean, breathtaking right?!

Napa Valley - Meritage Resort and Spa

The tuscan design really makes you feel like you've escaped reality and are truly on vacation in some remote location. At least it does for me. And I LOVE that they offer good gluten free options on their room service menu. The courtyards have patio lights strung across them with outdoor fireplaces that are great for lounging and relaxing at night. *Request a room with a vineyard view and enjoy breakfast on your own private balcony.

Napa Vallery - Visitor's Guide - Meritage Resort

Wineries:
What wineries should you visit? That really is the question isn't it? It honestly depends on how many people you have in your party, what kind of experience you're looking for, as well as what you like to drink. Are you a red lover, white or both? Do you want a full tasting experience with cheese/food pairing? Are you looking to visit the most picturesque wineries? These are all things to consider when making your wine tour plans. For my husband and I we plan our trips around what we like to drink. We're both big Zinfandel fans, so we've planned our trips around visiting those wineries that are well known for them. I'm also a big history geek, so in addition to tasting wine what I love is learning the history behind how the winery came to be.

Biale is a personal favorite. I love Black Chicken, and I love their story. It's not a big fancy place, it's just great wine with an amazing history! I can't recommend them enough. Life is good with a glass of Black Chicken in your hand.

I've always loved Chaos Theory, and this trip we had the chance to visit Brown Estate.

Napa Valley - Visitor's Guide - Brown Estate

Great little tour, great tasting experience.....all in all the entire experience was everything I hoped it would be and probably more. Their story is another cool one and the people that work there are so cool. The highlight was meeting David Brown, coolest cat you'll ever meet - not even kidding. He's so down to Earth, we could sit and drink wine with the people at Brown all day, everyday. ;) It's a bit of a drive up a windy road in St Helena and you won't have any cell service, but I think that's all part of the experience. I mean, if you're going to be off the grid, may as well be off the grid at this gorgeous place.

Napa Valley - Visitor's Guide - Brown Estate, Saint Helena

Brown Estate also wins my vote for best design. Obviously as a design lover I can't help but notice my surroundings, and I loved the rustic modern vibe of this place. The inside of that barn is legit you guys! Sorry I was too busy drinking wine inside to stop and take pictures. ;) You'll have to see it for yourself.

Domaine Chandon is a fun experience if you like sparkling wines. Their Rose is good. If you're visiting during the hot summer months I think it's a must stop. The terrace is beautiful and sparkling wine was made for a sunny, hot summer day. You don't need an appointment here unless you're with a party of 10 or more.

Napa Valley - Visitor's Guide

James Cole is another favorite. Their Malbec and "Old Vines" Zinfandel are favorites, but I really don't discriminate when it comes to James Cole wines. ;)

And if you stop at James Cole, it would be silly not to stop in at Darioush as they are basically right next door to each other.

Napa Valley - Visitor's Guide - Darioush

It's worth the stop just for the architecture, but the wine is really good too. If you're traveling with a large party they have a great private tasting room! It's quite the impressive display. And their customer service is top notch!

Napa Valley - Visitor's Guide - Darioush

There are so many great wineries, and I really do think planning the perfect trip is all about figuring out what you want out of your visit. We like to do two, maybe three, wineries a day with a stop for lunch in between and then head back to our hotel to rest up and change for dinner. But your plan will often depend on how many people you have in your group. Larger parties take more time at each stop. When planning your trip keep in mind the location of things and try to group visits that way. You don't want to waste time running all over town.

Where to eat:
In my opinion, the best part of visiting Napa besides the wine is the food. They have some really great restaurants!

For casual dining options check out the Oxbow Public Market. It's a great spot for a large party as it's kind of like a big food court (but nothing like a mall) with a bunch of options, so there's something for everyone. I personally love Casa, where everything is gluten free and totally delicious! Hello crab tacos!

Napa Valley - Visitor's Guide - Casa at Oxbow Public Market

You can also find some great little shops there too.

Press is superb.

Napa Valley Visitor's Guide

It's a great experience, and the food is fantastic. It's well worth the price as the portion sizes are ginormous. I recommend the potato cake and hen of the woods mushrooms as sides. I could eat the whole bowl of mushrooms by myself.......my mouth is watering as I type. The truffle mac and cheese looked so good, but it's a definite no for this gluten free girl. Lastly, I recommend requesting a patio table by the fire, so beautiful and romantic. We've eaten here twice now and will most likely visit again on our next trip.

Bottega is a great Italian restaurant in Yountville, which is the quaintest area with all kinds of great restaurants and shops. You definitely need to make a stop there. They don't offer gluten free pasta, but they do have lots of safe and delicious options and are happy to make changes to accommodate. I love restaurants that don't give you the side eye when you have food allergies.

Torc is in a great downtown location. The atmosphere and food are great. They're only open for dinner Wednesday through Monday.

 Napa Valley Visitor's Guide

All in all we had a great time once again, and I hope this short visitor's guide helps you plan your next Napa trip. And if you've never been, what are you waiting for?! #getyournapaon

Whatever your Napa itinerary looks like, don't let this happen to you. ;)

Napa Valley - Visitor's Guide - Don't let this happen to you.  ;)

Cheers friends! And if you have any great recommendations, ideas, tips to add please share in the comments section below. I'm pretty sure my husband and I will be back there once again next summer/early fall, and we're always up for finding new spots to visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment